Coming to this blog to post is like walking into a huge empty room with really echoy floors. Freaky. I guess I'll get used to it eventually.
I started work on the Columns scarf last night, and it...didn't go well the first time. I cast on and got through two rows, and ended up with five or six more stitches than I was supposed to have. I thought about it, decided where the problem was, ripped out those two rows, and started again. It went much better this time.
The pictures on the pattern are really not high res enough to show much detail so I really wasn't sure how the stitch pattern would come out. One might ask, if there were anyone here to wonder, why I decided to do it if I didn't know how it would turn out. I don't really know - the picture looked kind of cool and it was more interesting than doing a plain rib scarf or a garter stitch scarf.
I had some trouble when I had to skip one stitch, knit into the second stitch, and then knit into the first stitch and slip both off. I think part of the reason I picked up extra stitches on my first attempt was that I wasn't slipping the both stitches off.
The second round I made sure that wasn't a problem, but it is still a little difficult to get the needle under all the plies of the yarn without spearing through it. The rest of the pattern is fairly easy, though, and the really good thing about it is that it is difficult to make a mistake and not catch it right away, because it is immediately obvious if the stitches don't line up vertically the way they are supposed to.
I'm concerned that the scarf isn't wide enough, and also that I may not finish in time, but I'm trying not to fret. Sbodd thinks it is plenty wide.
I think this pattern would make a really great edging on a plain garter scarf or other garment, so I'm definately not throwing it away once this is finished