Friday, July 13, 2007

Mmm lace

lNote to self: It takes a long time to wind 370 yards of fingering weight yarn into a ball. Many thanks to Sbodd for holding the skein while I wound.

I didn't realize it until I put the skein around my feet (Sbodd was not free for skein holding duty yet) how soft that yarn was. I'm sure that if I did in fact knit a pair of socks out of it, they would be very comfortable socks. But, that particular skein is destined for a different use.

Yesterday I had to get out of the office, so I went to the Barnes and Noble down the street. I wasn't looking for anything in particular, but I found Victorian Lace Today, and with it sitting right there in front of me I couldn't resist. Which I should have done, because I think I probably paid more for it at the bookstore than I would have if I'd bought it online. :oP

It's...really challenging. I mean, I didn't expect it to be EASY, necessarily, but looking through the book, I was very intimidated. I definately don't think I could jump right into the one piece that I really, really want to do (I wish I could find a picture of it, but I'm having difficulty...ah, here we go). I think I'm going to have to try one of the 'beginner lace' projects first. I don't really mind I suppose...there are so many beautiful, beautiful patterns in this book.

Why must I always be drawn to the hard stuff?? :oP But then, sock knitting wasn't as hard as I feared it would be, so maybe the same will prove to be true. After staring at the patterns for a while they did begin to resolve themselves into French rather than Greek. I will have to do some reading up on some of the techniques mentioned, but I think I can figure it out eventually.

In the meantime, I certainly have plenty of projects to deal with already. The Witterings hat is starting to take on more of a bowl shape, which is encouraging. I worked four rounds on it yesterday and it is now large enough that I can use a single circular on it.

My second knitpicks order has finally left the WV sorting center so I hope that it will be delivered today (the last package was delivered the same day it left that place). Then I can start on the candy wrapper sachets that I want to make for Amy. I finally just ordered some tea bags online since I didn't feel like driving all over creation looking for the things. I'm looking forward to those as they are supposedly fairly quick to knit, and I could use some near-instant gratification. I remain determined to finish this hat before I start another project. I'd like to get it done while there is still enough heat and sun for it to be useful.

No comments: