Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Beginner's Enthusiasm

My knitting endeavors continue. I have begun working on the knit 4 purl 4 scarf I linked. I had a really hard time with it and restarted repeatedly before I finally figured out what I was doing wrong. Yesterday I stopped at Michael's and bought some stitch counters, which have made a huge, huge difference. They're little rings that you slip on your needles between your stitches, and now I have one between every set of 8 stitches. This way, I find out a lot quicker if I have picked up an extra stitch, or done something else stupid. The bottom of the scarf still has some visible screwups, but hey, it's a first try. I've got maybe an inch and a half of knitted material, which is pretty darn good I think.

There are tons of free patterns online and I have had fun experimenting. Yesterday I tried a seed stitch, and it went pretty well...for a while. Then I messed up and pulled it out. :oP But there is a pattern for a scarf in seed stitch using a chenille yarn that looks like fun on the Lion Brand site. I'd link it, but they require you to register to view their free patterns. :oP It is pretty and that particular yarn, while less cheap than I would prefer, comes in lots of really pretty colors.

No comments: