Thursday, April 26, 2012

Get comfy!

You might want to go grab something to drink and make sure your seat is comfortable.  I'll wait.  After neglecting the blog for this long, I have much to cacth up on.  I'll try to make it interesting!  Oh, and you might want to grab a snack, because if you're not hungry now, you will be by the time I finished.

First things first.  I'm married!

Untitled


Untitled


That last one was taken in the car as we made our escape.  The day was lovely and you can see some additional pics
here at our photographer's website.  If you go, and you enjoy the photos, please leave Suzy a comment - firstly, because she is awesome and took very good care of me on a very stressful day, and second, because she promised me free stuff if I sent traffic her way.  She says the exposure is good for her business but I think she just likes giving stuff away.  Oh well - Mama needs some free 8x10's.  My mama, that is.  Hee hee.


You know what the last thing we did before we left was?  Replace the medicine cabinet in our master bath.


Ew.

Untitled


Yay!

Untitled


All of our plans to move CodeNinja in, in a logical, sensical manner that left us with minimal mess to manage upon our return, really didn't work out, so I was determined that at least our master suite would be fixed up before we left.  So, just a few days before we left for the wedding, we painted the master bath and replaced all the fixtures (towel bars, etc).  Then the day we left, I put our new wedding towels on the towelbar, and we made up the master bed with our new linens and comforter and 1,000,000,000 decorative pillows.  That medicine cabinet gave us problems, though, and we decided on having one last go at putting it in before we left.  And we did!  So there you go.  Funny stories of my insanity.


Of course, the awesomeness of Ravelry is such that one cannot have a major life event of any kind without receiving an outpouring of yarny love.  This is especially true of Romi's group, and if you haven't joined us there, you should!  My devious mother-in-law, also a knitter, conspired with all my knitmates to come up with this bouquet for the wedding rehearsal: 


Untitled


So many flowers were contributed, there was even a bouquet for my maid of honor:

Untitled


Words can't express how wonderful this was, and how happy I was to have it.  Because there was so much traveling involved in the wedding lots of stuff is getting mailed back to me from various places, so I will try to take some better pictures of the flowers when I get the bouquet back.

Anyway, we made good our escape, and I was eventually able to free my hair from the snillion bobby pins holding it up.

Untitled


The next morning we had leftover wedding cake for breakfast.

Untitled


Yum.  We had a chardonnay cake with raspberry filling, and the groom's cake was some type of intense chocolate with more raspberry in the middle.  It was done by Sweet Impressions and it was delicious.  Over and over again.  They sent us away with quite a bit of leftovers from both dinner and the cakes.  We carried the cake on the plane and feasted on it for several days.

I haven't really done much knitting at all in the last couple of months leading up to the wedding.  My energy was just devoted to too many other things and I really had nothing left to knit with.  Not even stockinette.

But, while we were in Baton Rouge I went to Knits by Nana and, even though we had a hard time finding them and therefore ended up there right after closing time, one of the staff members was so sweet and gracious and she stayed to let me look around.  I bought two skeins of String Theory Caper Sock and one of Dream in Color Smooshy with Cashmere.  And I started a sock, which you can see me working on in Suzy's photos.  By the time we flew out the morning after the wedding I was well underway. 


Untitled


That set of flights was not fun, I'm afraid.  Our flight was delayed, but not until we were already on the plane.  Delayed once, CodeNinja assured me we were fine.  Delayed again, and he said, no problem.  Delayed a third time and he said, "uhhh...."  We made our connection, just BARELY, and only because it had also been delayed by about forty minutes.  Then when we got to Anchorage, we discovered our baggage hadn't made it with us.  We picked up the rental car, went to Wal-Mart, picked up the essentials, went to the hotel - and our credit cards were declined when we tried to check into the hotel.  A couple phone calls got everything cleared up (we had not notified them they were traveling so both our banks put a fraud hold on our cards after we used them the first time) but we were TIRED that night!


The magic of Ravelry served well once again the following day.  The Alaska knitters group is super helpful to fellow knitters visiting their states, and I had a ton of restaurant and yarn shop recommendations from them.  We had breakfast at the Snow City Cafe.


Untitled


I had their version of a monte cristo:

Untitled


And the hubs (hee) had quiche.

Untitled


Hungry yet?


They had art on the walls for sale from one of the local schools (to fund a class trip) and I would have bought this knitting hands picture if it hadn't already been sold:



Untitled


Then we went shopping, and I shall have to cover that in a separate post, because I just realized I haven't photographed any of it.

Anyway, once we were done, we ate at the Moose's Tooth and then headed out of Anchorage, making a quick stop at Potter Marsh to check for birds.  We stuck around for a while watching three swans root for food, and then headed on out to Homer, where we were going to spend the rest of our honeymoon.

In the interests of time and blog space - let me sum up our trip with a photoessay:

Pizza from the Moose's Tooth
Untitled

View from the deck of our condo in Homer
Untitled

ABC (apple, bacon, cheese - best idea ever) sandwich from Fat Olive's in Homer
Untitled

Chocolate cake at Fat Olive's
Untitled

Breakfast pastries from the Two Sisters Bakery - CodeNinja reckons that after the hotel and the car, we spent the most money at Two Sisters.
Untitled
Untitled
Untitled

Completed Socks
Untitled

Homer's LYS, CommuKnitty Knits, otherwise known (to us at least) as The Yarn Yurt.
Untitled

Pizza from St. Elias Brewing company in Soldatna with Blue Zin (blueberry white zinfandel) from Bear Creek Winery in Homer
Untitled
Untitled

Sandwiches from Moira's in Homer - the "Busty Lusty" and the "Vermonter" served with yummy pesto pasta salad
 Untitled
Untitled

Dinner at Fat Olive's again - appetizer of beef bruchetta and another ABC
Untitled
Untitled

The only birthday cupcake I remembered to take a picture of, from Two Sisters
Untitled

Our reflection in the window of our condo.
Untitled

Goodbye Homer...
Untitled

One last lunch at the Moose's Tooth before we flew out!
Untitled

Whew...well, I hope that wasn't totally boring, but that's pretty much what we did!  We ate, relaxed, and enjoyed each other's company.  Next post, I promise FO's, WIP's, and yarn acquisitions. 

No comments: