Monday, December 1, 2008

Holy Crap It's December

The relativeness of time is probably one of the most bizarre experiences in human experience. The older I get, the faster time goes, and as I'm not yet even 30, it frightens me to think about what life will be like when I am my grandmother's age. When I think about any one portion of this year, it feels like it has whipped by, but when I think of last year, it seems like such a long time ago.

But you came here for the knitting, right, not my ramblings? Well...I have no pictures to show. I am lame. I'll try to take some tonight and post tomorrow. I did a lot of knitting this weekend but I'm not sure how much progress I really made. I worked on the coffee pot socks. I worked on the hat. I finished neither. I did both start and finish a pair of wristwarmers from Last Minute Knitted Gifts because the SO's mom has expressed (several times) a desire for fingerless gloves, and we were going to the Christmas tree farm, and I thought, wouldn't it be nice to give her a pair when she shows up in the morning? I failed miserably, but I was able to hand the completed pair to her on the way home (despite several mishaps that probably would not have occured had I not walked and knitted at the same time). And it took care of one ball of KP Swish superwash in my stash that had been there for a while, because I kind of bought, like, one of every color of Swish, without much thought given to "what would I do with only one ball if it did not go with any of the others?" So, while most of that sampler expedition has since become hats and various other things that can be made with two coordinating balls, I found myself left with one ball of grey, one ball each of two different blues, and a ball of copper, and not a very good idea of what to do with any of it. I could put the grey together with one other and make a hat but what would I do with the remaining two? None of the colors that would have been left would really have gone together. So, now, the copper is gone, and I will make another pair out of one of the blues (maybe for my brother's stocking, as they really don't take too long) and then the remaining blue and the grey can become a hat. (Incidentally, most of the hats I make also come from Last Minute Knitted Gifts, in the Kim's Hats section. I am very fond of that book.)

I did get some catching up done on the shawl so November was not a total wash as far as shawl-knitting goes. I finished the chart I was on (chart G) and last night I stopped one row short of finishing the next chart (chart H). It hurt to stop so close, but it was 10 p.m. and each row is taking me over half an hour at this point, and knitting after 10 never seems to work out for me.

I have two more charts before the edging. Chart J is about 37 rows, so it is both longer in the number of rows and longer in the length of rows than the two charts I just finished. Then I have chart K, which is a relatively small chart heightwise but, again, the rows just keep getting longer and longer. Then I move on to the hem edgings.

Despite the fact that I still have hope in my heart, in my head I must acknowledge that there is no way I will be done in time. I can only hope that I can knit enough while I am off for Christmas itself, so that I can finish it in time for New Years, which will probably be the next time I see the recipient. If I can just get to the hem edging before I leave for TX I think I can make it.

No comments: