Friday, November 2, 2007

ARGH!!!

I know why the heels on my Paris Rain pedicure socks are baggy and ugly.

The reason is I AM A COMPLETE FREAKING MORON WHO CANNOT FOLLOW SIMPLE FRICKIN' DIRECTIONS AAAUUUUGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!! ::sob::

The directions say to do this:

Row 1 [WS]: Sl1, p to end.
Row 2 [RS]: [Sl1, k1] to end.

This means:

Row 1: Slip one stitch, and purl the rest of the stitches
Row 2: Slip one stitch, knit one stitch, slip one stitch, knit one stitch, etc. till the end of the row

What I actually did:
Row 1 [WS]: Sl1, p to end.
Row 2 [RS]: Sl1, k to end.

This means:

Row 1: Slip one stitch, and purl the rest of the stitches
Row 2: Slip one stitch, and knit the rest of the stitches

AUGH. AUGH AUGH AUGH.

The slipped stitches cause the fabric to pull in tighter so that your heels are not BAGGY AND UGLY AUGH!!

I was so mad that I seriously considered throwing the completed socks away and buying 2 new skeins of yarn so that I could do them over and GET IT RIGHT OMG. I'm still considering it. :oP

In theory, I might be able to unravel the socks and fix them, but they have already been washed and I'm afraid I would run out of yarn before the end. I could knit them a little shorter I guess. I don't know. Just--AUGH. ::headdesk::

You know what really astounds me? I did the same thing on both socks. Which means I read the directions wrong not once, but twice.

I am shamed.

I discovered this last night as I worked on another pair of pedicure socks for a friend. I was knitting while doing some computer maintenance. I got through the whole leg of the sock and started a couple of rows on the heel turn, and that was when I noticed that things were different than on the sock I had worked on before.

It was some small consolation that I got through that section of sock so quickly, though, and it is a huge relief that I am not risking a gift to my friend of baggy socks. I'm so relieved and I take back anything mean I said or thought about that pattern!

No comments: