Wednesday, October 3, 2007

I am a Sock Knitter!

I have finished my first real sock out of real sock yarn! I have not photographed it as I finished it at 1 a.m., but here is the yarn:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the Yarnmarket exclusive colorway Irises (based, supposedly, on this painting).

It looks beautiful on the skein, doesn't it? You would never know it knits up like something your kid threw up the day after the circus. Yes, I am afraid I do not like the finished product at all colorwise...but it's my first sock! And it fits! No baggy heels or droopy leg...no guage problems...it looks great! I did the Garter Rib from Sensational Knitted Socks. In retrospect, I should have stopped and chosen another pattern when I saw that I did not like how this one was knitting up, since the stockinette portions of the sock do not look all that bad.

Out of the three Lorna's Laces colorways I purchased (all from Yarnmarket's Impressionist Collection because I am a sucker for the word "exclusive" and also maybe a little bit for being able to say that my socks are based on art), this was the one I liked the least even on the skein, so I figured if I screwed up I would not be to heartbroken. I'm sure if I had used the ones I really liked I would have made a mess in a hurry.

What I'm really looking forward to...is this one:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Based on Van Goph's Starry Night (do I even have to link that one? I didn't think so). The yellow has a bit of greenish that worries me a tad, but the deep blue is so pretty...I hope it will knit up nicely. I'm seriously considering doing that sock in plain stockinette just so I can enjoy the colors. We'll see how it looks when I get started.

And then, on the calmer end of the spectrum, there is this:

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Snowscapes. I will have to link the picture in a bit; a quick search did not find it for me and I can't remember the name of the artist. I hope that I will like this one; I love the Artyarns version of this colorway but the LL has more actual color in it. We will see. Either way, I am excited to see what I can make from these.

And they are for me, all for me, AHAHAHA!

Seriously, I owe myself some knitted stuff and I am so busy knitting for other people that I have finished basicallly nothing for myself other than the baggy pedicure socks and my one clown-barf sock. I do have some KnitPicks Essential sock yarn that I will use to make socks for other people, but these three? These three are MINE.

Edit: I forgot to gloat...I had a little falling down and purchased two colors of Fleece Artist Suri Blue, Ruby and Stone. I am hoping I can use this to make some of the shawls from Wrapped in Comfort. Swatches will tell I suppose!

No comments: