Friday, October 12, 2007

Finishings

I finished the garter rib socks, and I finished the main part of the first Urban Necessity glove! I still have to knit the mitten cap, but I am just pleased to have the hand part completed at this point.

It is not perfect. There were some pretty decent-sized gaps between the fingers despite my best efforts. I used the ends to try to sew them closed and weave through any areas that might have holes. I'm not sure how well it worked. Also, I think if I were making them for me I would leave off the increases just before the fingers. it makes the fabric too wide for my hands and it bunches a bit. I am hoping it will be okay on my friend. Her hands are a little bit larger than mine, though not much. I hope I made the thumb long enough, and that the finger gussets are not too long. They are a little bit longer than I personally would like them. I would do them a bit shorter if it was for me but again, her hands are a little bigger. I am tempted to send this glove to her once the mitten cap is knitted so that I can make sure it is going to fit at least reasonably well before I make her the other one. However, that presents its own problems...if it doesn't fit then I have to knit it over, and if it does fit then how do I knit the second one to match without having the first one for reference? So I think I will just struggle on and hope. If they don't fit, then it was just a learning experience. They do feel really nice on the hands, though, the Swish Superwash is really soft and has a nice luster.

Almost immediately after I finished the garter rib socks I cast on another pair of socks with the Starry Night yarn I posted before. I just can't wait to see how it turns out. I've only knitted about a quarter inch of rib but I'm loving it so far. I plan to use the Elongated Corded Rib pattern. I saw some pictures of it in ravelry and I think the eyelets will appropriately compliment the Starry Night theme.

I did go ahead and buy More Sensational Knitted Socks. I am weak.

No comments: