Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Done, done, donnidy done done

The Urban Necessity tam is finished! But due to the late hour at which I finished it I do not have a picture yet. I will post one because when I was considering the pattern I really wanted to see what it looked like and I had trouble finding it.

I made a mistake in one panel in the cable pattern so there's one single line that's kind of broken, but I decided not to go back and fix it since I was several rounds past it when I found it, and very close to being done. I am vexed, but...too bad. It won't be noticeable when worn and you'd really have to look for it to see it anyway. So I keep telling myself, anyhow.

Next up are the gloves, which I am unreasonably afraid of. I don't know what it is that makes me so nervous - fear that they won't fit? I really have no idea. My friend's hands appear to be about the same size as mine based on the trace she sent me. Her fingers are longer, but in width and palm length we are basically the same, so I think if I aim to make it fit me, it should be okay for her. I'll just make the gussets a teeny bit longer than they would be for me.

This weekend I took a break from the hat knitting and cast on a sock from Sensational Knitted socks. This will be my first real sock-sock (as opposed to a worsted weight pedicure sock). I chose the garter rib 4-stitch pattern since I wanted to keep it simple for my first sock. The sock itself went well right up until the gusset decreases, where I screwed up something rather badly and ended up tinking back round after round trying to figure out why I had more stitches on one needle than the other (I work on 2 circs). In the end I decided in frustration that I must not have picked up enough stitches on one side, which explained both why I had a gap on one side at the top of the gusset and not on the other, and why my stitch count was wrong. I grabbed the stitch and laddered it up, and continued on my merry way. I got through the gusset decreases and now I'm on the foot.

I hate the yarn. Not the yarn itself (Lornas Laces Shepherd Sock), but the colorway, the Yarn Market exclusive colorway "Irises" from their impressionist collection. It looked so pretty in the skein, but knit up in this pattern it looks like something your kid would throw up the day after a trip to the circus. :oP

I don't really care. I liked this skein the least of all the ones I purchased, which is why I chose to use it for my first sock. I figured it would bother me less if I messed up.

The plain stockinette section looks better than the garter rib section, but the colors are still too riotous for me. It is just a personal taste thing I think - someone else might love this yarn.

I am really looking forward to knitting the Starry Night pair; I think that color will be very pretty.

I got a shipment from KnitPicks yesterday that included Wrapped in Comfort. I looked through it and I love it. I love the way the shawls are displayed - each one is shown on a person and spread out, so that you can see both the drape and the lace pattern. There is a story for each pattern, some touching and some humorous. I'm excited and looking forward to working something out of that book.

No comments: