Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Which way is up?

I met Sbodd for a late dinner, and then went home and broke my knitting ban on the week (earlier I had decided not to knit that week because I needed to be packing for the move). Not much...just a little bit of work on the pedicure socks. Listening to all the knitting podcasts made me want to knit and I needed to work out the frustration of the day a little bit, so I went ahead and did a few rounds. Made it through the ribbing and started on the stockinette stitch. I did something wierd at some point near the join so there is a little bit of a hole on what will be the back of the sock, but it's not a big deal, I guess. It's my first pair of socks anyway, I do not expect them to be perfect.

One problem I have had twice now while knitting in the round is that I kind of expect the knitting to grow away from me, and it actually grows towards me - that is, the finished part is between me and the needles, and I expect it to be on the other side. So if I'm not careful, I end up knitting inside out, which is not a good thing. :oP I suppose it might have something to do with the way I knit, but I have no way of knowing. In any case, I haven't been able to figure out a different way of doing it. Technically it is really growing down, anyway, it only looks like it is growing toward me because I have the needles tilted to work. But if you actually hold the needles parallel to the ground, it is growing down. Or up, depending on how you look at it - this pattern starts at the top of the sock and knits to the toe (except that there is no toe, because it's a pedicure sock), so when I'm holding it the sock is essentially upside down and I add length to the top of it.

No comments: