Anyway, despite my frustrations and mistakes, the project itself seems to LOOK fine. My biggest problem is that I keep ending up with extra stitches at the end of a round and that is not good. I'm guessing I'm doing something wrong at the join of the two needles that is resulting in an extra stitch - either I am carrying the yarn the wrong way, or something. I started being very careful and deliberate with where I carried the yarn across the join of the two needles, and that seems to have helped some. I am trying really hard to watch now and see if I can figure out where else I am messing up.
In any case, things are progressing, if not totally smoothly. I have 11 rounds to go and then I'm done. I did about six yesterday, and I